This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
A combination of rising Covid-19 cases and a lack of available staff forces short-term return to remote learning for several of the Deming Public School systems locations.
Buses will be about 20 minutes early Wednesday – Friday this week due to the secondary school going to remote learning.
• DEMING HIGH SCHOOL (DHS)
• MIMBRES VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL (MVHS)
• EARLY COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL (ECHS)
• RED MOUNTAIN MIDDLE SCHOOL (RMMS)
WHEN: Wednesday, November 10th through Friday, November 12th
Deming Public Schools (DPS), as well as districts across the state and country, are facing critical staffing shortages. At DPS we are facing significant staffing shortages at DHS and RMMS along with significant increases of COVID-19 positivity rates at both schools and MVHS and ECHS.
We have largely been able to avoid impacts to our students as the result of the outstanding efforts of our administrators, teachers and staff who have gone above and beyond in their flexibility and creativity to cover the gaps. As we look at the positivity rates, quarantine rules, and general absences, it has become apparent we do not have the substitutes or central office staff to provide adequate coverage at these three sites. As a result, we have made the extremely difficult decision to move DHS, MVHS, ECHS, & RMMS to a remote setting with modified class schedules beginning Wednesday, November 10th through Friday, November 12th.
Our goal has been, and will remain, to open schools in manner that is safe, healthy, and supports learning. We will continue to look at all the data from every school to achieve this goal and we will keep our community informed. Please check our website, www.demingps.org, for the most up-to-date information.
Each school has developed a Remote Learning Schedule, which can be found on the next page. We will also offer Grab and Go meals for students to take home for the 3-days of remote learning and we will have hotspots available for students who do not have internet at home.
We know this may be an inconvenience for families and, for that, we are deeply sorry. We will continue to recruit substitutes and search for alternative solutions so that we can avoid similar situations in the future.
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO KEEP OUR KIDS IN SCHOOL
• Avoid large gatherings (even family gatherings)
• Support your child in wearing their mask correctly
• Wash hands frequently
• Get vaccinated, if eligible
• Do not send your child to if they are symptomatic.
• Do not send unvaccinated students to school if there is a positive in the home.
If we don’t slow down the spread of COVID-19, we will be forced to cancel events, sports, activities, and after-school programs, and we may not be able to have fans at our sporting events. Let’s work together to slow the spread and keep everyone healthy.
For ALL schools, please note the following:
• Students will receive credit for attendance when work is completed; students who do not complete remote work will be marked absent for the three days.
• Teaching Staff will be at their school site and available during the scheduled Zoom sessions to provide instructional support.
• Hotspots will be provided to any student who does not have access to the internet at home.