This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
The Columbus Village Library offers the following tips for shopping online safely:
- Use a familiar website. Big retailers like Amazon, Target, and Walmart want to keep you safe.
- Beware of amazing deals. Find the same item on another website. The prices should not be dramatically different.
- Look for the lock icon. On the checkout screen, make sure there is a lock icon in the address bar.
- Don’t click on the email link yet. Open a new tab and look up the offer directly on the website.
- Check your bank statement. Make sure the charges are correct. Ask your bank to stop payment if necessary.
Never give them your birthday or Social Security information.