The Columbus depot was built in 1902 to serve trains going from Douglas, AZ to El Paso, TX. It originally transported ore from copper mines in Bisbee, AZ to the refineries in El Paso. Following Pancho Villa’s 1916 raid and Pershing’s Punitive Expedition, the trains increased to ten a day. In the 1940s, during World War II, there were 40 trains a day. The last train came through Columbus on December 15, 1961. The railroad tracks were removed in 1965, although there are still some tracks in front of the depot.
The Columbus Historical Society was formed in the mid-1970s. It is a volunteer, nonprofit organization. With the goal to preserve and restore our historical past, they established a museum in the depot. There are many displays in the museum and on the grounds. A majority of the artifacts were generously donated. There are three rooms of displays including military, railroad, and household items from the early 1900s.
There is also a gift shop that was recently remodeled and includes new merchandise. Stop by and check it out! There is no admission fee. Donations and gift shop sales support the museum.
The Museum is currently open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Beginning April 1, the hours will be 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.